If you’re in the mood for a mind-blowing dish, this Thai crab fried rice is a must-try! This dish has a combo of the sweet and delicate flavors of crab meat and soft scrambled eggs with the fragrant and fluffy texture of jasmine rice. It is stir-fried with a fish-sauce based sauce for a kick of umami. It is elevated to the next level with a fiery garlicky Thai hot sauce that’s sure to satisfy your cravings. Follow the simple steps below and enjoy this delicious meal that’s bursting with flavor!
What is fried rice?
Fried rice is a popular dish in many cultures that many of us have fond memories of eating. Many people choose fried rice as a go-to meal that they can easily prepare and customize. The dish also provides a great opportunity to clean out the fridge with, as it can incorporate almost any ingredient. Due to its simplicity and affordability to cook, it remains a classic dish that you may prefer to prepare at home rather than buying. The dish gets its name from the technique of stir-frying all the ingredients together in a wok.
The Chinese-style fried rice is made with jasmine rice, eggs, vegetables, and pork, all fried together in a wok. Traditionally, it may contain four proteins such as sea cucumbers, pork, shrimp, and chicken. However, a simpler version typically includes jasmine rice, Chinese barbecue pork (cha siu) or American ham, scrambled egg, and shrimp.
Thai Crab Fried Rice is made with Thai jasmine rice, crab meat, eggs, and a fish-sauce based sauce. It’s a delicious and fragrant dish that’s perfect for those who love the taste of seafood. What makes my Thai Crab Fried Rice so original is the red Thai Hot Sauce (Nam Jim Seafood, Thai Seafood Sauce) that I am pairing it with. This is a sauce that I had never heard of until I discovered it on my travels to Thailand in 2022. You can find my recipe for Thai Seafood Sauce on my website! If this recipe makes you drool, be sure to also check out: Chinese Fried Rice, Pad Thai Noodles, Thai Steak Salad, and Vietnamese Dipping Sauce recipes.
What is the secret to good crab fried rice?
To make any dish delicious it’s important to achieve a balance of textures and flavors. For this dish, I look for a fluffy rice base, a variety of colors, soft scrambled eggs, and high quality crab meat. To achieve the perfect texture for fried rice, using leftover rice is one of the secrets to making it restaurant-quality. When you expose leftover rice to heat, fat, and seasonings, it can be revived to a soft texture without becoming soggy. This is because leftover rice is firmer and drier than freshly cooked rice. However, it’s important to handle leftover rice with care, as it can become inedible after a few days even when refrigerated.
Can I get sick from eating leftover rice?
If you have ordered takeout in the past, you may have ended up with a lot of extra rice. If you’re like me, you have tried to save it to eat later! Unfortunately, eating leftover rice can be potentially harmful due to the risk of bacterial growth which can cause food poisoning. To prevent this, ensure that you are handling and storing cooked rice properly.
- Cook only enough rice for your recipe or meal
- Cook rice thoroughly to avoid the risk of bacteria and to ensure that it has a desirable texture. Rice cookers are a great option for cooking rice because they simplify the process and are more consistent than cooking rice on the stove.
- Store it in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer within two hours of cooking
- When eating old rice it is important to reheat the rice until it’s steaming hot at 165°F / 74°C all the way through, which will help eliminate any remaining bacteria
- Consume the rice within a day or two of cooking and discarding it beyond that point
Can I use freshly steamed rice to make fried rice?
Yes, if you don’t have leftover rice on hand, you can still make great fried rice by steaming rice fresh. To achieve the best texture for fried rice, you can steam fresh rice according to the package instructions but use about a quarter less water than called for.
How do I buy crab meat?
Crab meat comes in two forms – fresh or canned. You can buy fresh crab meat from a seafood market or the seafood counter at your local grocery store. For example, my local Whole Foods sells pre-cooked crab legs. However, whole crabs legs tend to be more expensive and need to be cracked which can be a lot of work. To save time and money, it is best to choose premium canned crab meat that has already been handled.
When buying it, it’s important to check the label to make sure it’s the type you want and from a reputable source. Some containers may contain a mix of different crab meat, while others may be labeled as “lump” or “claw” meat. The cost of crab meat varies depending on the type and location. In my area, it costs around $28 USD per pound. For this fried rice recipe, you may need between half to one pound of crab meat depending on how fancy and lean you want to make it. If you’re using lump crab meat, keep the pieces whole instead of shredding them! You want to show those whole pieces off.
What is Thai rice?
Thai jasmine rice is a fragrant and long-grain variety of rice that has an aroma resembling that of jasmine flowers. Its delicate and nutty flavor adds a lot to this dish. You can find many brands of Thai jasmine rice, but I use the Elephant Thai brand most. If you want to get the best results, avoid using American or Japanese white rice.
What is light soy sauce?
Soy sauce is a popular condiment used in many Asian dishes, and it comes in several different varieties. Generally, when a recipe calls for soy sauce, it is referring to light or premium soy sauce, which are essentially the same thing. This type of soy sauce has a lighter color and more delicate flavor compared to other types like dark soy sauce or tamari. It is made from a combination of soybeans, wheat, water, and salt. The mixture is fermented for a period of time to develop its characteristic savory and umami taste. It’s important to note that different brands may have slightly different flavor profiles, so it’s a good idea to taste-test various brands to find the one that works best for your taste preferences. Due to its unique qualities, light soy sauce should not be substituted with dark soy sauce.
What is fish sauce?
Fish sauce a staple in Southeast Asian cuisine and is known for its dark brown, clear appearance. This fermented liquid seasoning is made from fish and is characterized by its strong, pungent aroma. It has a distinct taste that is a blend of sweet, salty, and slightly briny flavors. In cooking, fish sauce is used to add saltiness and a rich umami flavor to dishes. It is commonly used as a seasoning in pho broth, as a dipping sauce in Vietnam, in marinades and sauces for Thai cuisine, and to enhance the flavor of various dishes.
Is there a difference between Thai and Vietnamese fish sauce?
Yes, there is a difference between Thai and Vietnamese fish sauce. While both sauces are made from anchovies, salt, and water, they have distinct differences in flavor, aroma, and usage. Both Thai and Vietnamese fish sauces are widely available in most grocery stores and can be used interchangeably in many recipes. However, if a recipe specifically calls for one type of fish sauce, it’s best to use that type to achieve the intended flavor profile.
Thai fish sauce (nam pla) is fermented for up to a year. It has a salty, savory taste, with a slightly sweet and tangy flavor. Thai fish sauce is commonly used in many Thai dishes as a seasoning. Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc mam) may also include sugar, water, and other seasonings in addition to the other ingredients. It is typically fermented for a shorter period of time, resulting in a milder, less pungent taste. Vietnamese fish sauce is often used in Vietnamese cuisine for dipping sauces, marinades, and dressings.
How do I buy fish sauce?
With many different brands available, it can be overwhelming to choose the right fish sauce. If a reputable brand that you recognize is unavailable to you, consider the following:
- Read the ingredients: Look for a high percentage of anchovy extract and salt, as this is an indication of high quality. Some lower-quality fish sauces contain added sugars, preservatives, and artificial flavors.
- Consider the color: Fish sauce should be amber-brown in color and relatively clear. If the sauce is very dark, it may indicate over-processing or the addition of caramel color.
- Choose a reputable brand: Look for well-established brands with a proven track record of producing high-quality fish sauce. You can also ask for recommendations from friends or family who have used fish sauce before.
Thai Crab Fried Rice
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups uncooked Thai jasmine rice steamed
- 1/2 lb cooked crab meat
- 2 eggs scrambled
- 1/4 cup scallions julienned
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cucumber sliced
- 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp Thai seafood sauce recipe at vocabularyoffood.com/thai-hot-sauce/
- Prep | Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar.
- Fried Rice | Once the pan is hot, add in oil. When the oil is hot, add in the minced garlic. The garlic should sizzle instantly. Stir-fry for 20 seconds, until fragrant. Turn the stove to high heat. Immediately add the cooked rice to the pan and stir-fry for 2-3 mins, breaking up any clumps with a spatula. Pour the sauce over the rice and stir-fry for an additional 1-2 mins, until the rice is evenly coated and slightly caramelized. Add the lump crab meat to the pan and stir-fry for another min, until the crab is heated through. Make a well in the middle of the pan and add in the scrambled eggs. Once cooked, break into pieces with a spatula and stir them into the rice.
- Assemble | Plate the rice. Garnish with lime julienned scallions and cilantro. Then drizzle with lime juice and Thai seafood sauce. Be careful not to squeeze more than half of a lime's worth of juice over the rice the Thai seafood sauce already has some. Enjoy hot!If you've tried this recipe, please let me know what you think in the comments below! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it helps me improve my recipes for future cooking adventures. And if you enjoyed it, don't forget to give it a thumbs up or share it with your friends! You can help my channel by tagging @vocabularyoffood in your cooks. ۶(◠ 。◠)۶