Soft-batch cookies with an intoxicating strawberry fragrance filled with creamy vanilla ice cream and rolled in buttery strawberry shortcake crumbles. This recipe is inspired by one of my favorite American ice cream novelties, Strawberry Shortcake Bars.
Why This Works
This recipe is created from store-bought ingredients making this a simple recipe for any home cook zero baking experience necessary! These sandwiches hold together perfectly making this treat perfect to eat now or later.
To avoid cookie puddles always let the oven come to full temperature before baking. If baking with a single baking tray, let it cool to room temperature before adding on raw cookie dough.
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 15.25 oz box moist strawberry cake mix
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 large whole eggs
- 2 tbsp strawberry JELL-O mix
- 12 golden oreos, filling removed
- 2 tbsp instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tbsp unsalted Grade A butter, melted
- 0.5 gallon premium vanilla ice cream, softened
- Cookies | Preheat the oven to 350F / 176C. Line a 18"L, 13"W baking sheet with parchment paper. To a mixing bowl, add cake mix, oil, and eggs. Whisk. Using a 5 cm cookie scooper, scoop 6 cookies onto the baking sheet. (There may be 1 more dough ball left in the bowl.) Space the cookies out at least 3 inches apart. Bake on the center rack for 10 minutes or until the cookie no longer looks translucent with a lightly browned bottom. Let the cookies cool to room temp. Repeat with remaining dough as needed.
- Crumbles | Melt butter in the microwave, 10 sec. To a ziplock bag, add pudding mix, jello mix, and golden Oreo cookies. Seal making sure to release the air in the bag. Smash with a rolling pin until fine. Add melted butter. Shake the bag and run the crumbles over with the rolling pin until the clusters are broken up.
- Assemble | Leave the ice cream out on the counter for 10 minutes before assembly. Match the cookies up in pairs by size. Scoop one scoop of vanilla ice cream onto the cookies. Top with a second cookie creating a sandwich. Press down until the ice cream reaches the edges, then roll in the crumbles.